Opening a PDF you didn’t create in illustrator can sometimes cause some serious headaches. Hopefully the tips here will help make it a little bit less of a pain. If you’ve ever opened up a PDF in illustrator and found that you don’t have the fonts that were originally used it may seem like you are out of luck, but I promise you you’re not!
Just follow these steps:
1) Create a new document whatever size you are needing it.
2) Place the PDF into your new illustrator document. (It will place as a linked file)
3) With the PDF selected in illustrator go to Object>Flatten Transparency
4) Make sure the “Convert All Text to Outlines” box is checked and click OK.
5) Use the direct select (white arrow tool) to select and delete any extra bits and pieces. There will probably be an invisible box around everything that is the same size that the PDF was.
6) Enjoy your now outlined text in a font you don’t actually have installed on your computer.